Home

Thursday, November 17, 2011

From Free to Fabulous

Back in September during my visit to my sisters place in Oregon I went to several thrift, vintage and antique stores. While I was buying another cabinet which will be refinished in the future, the store owner asked if I wanted this sewing chair. 
Since it was such a great deal, I said yes. It was FREE!


It had a good finish, just some old tape residue and old '60's "style". And a really ugly and dingy print fabric on the seat and back. But it has handy storage in the seat!

Since the chair was free I figured I could experiment with the new 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint paint I wanted to try. 
I removed the seat and back and cleaned the wood. No sanding or stripping required. I applied two coats of Old White chalk paint. After it dried, I added the first coat of wax. After the wax dried I sanded the finish to smooth it out and distress the edges to give it an aged look. Another coat of wax and buffing and the chair was ready for some new cushions. 
I stripped the old fabric and foam from the seat and back. After I added some new high density foam to the seat board and covered the foam with the new fabric. The fabric was another bargain from my favorite thrift store, The Legacy
I secured the fabric at the center top with my staple gun, then moved to the center bottom and secured that. Then to each side. And then each corner.

Then I stapled all around the edge and trimmed the excess fabric. 

I did the same with each front and back piece. I reassembled the chair and all done! 


I will use the chair in my scrap/craft room when I sew. I don't know what I will store in the seat. I have plenty of sewing and craft supplies so I know I can find something to stash in there. 

A close up of the finish. I distressed the edges of the chair to look old and vintage, just not 1960's old

Thanks for visiting! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!