Home

Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Creative Mess

This last week was I busy with my sons graduation from 8th grade. I helped to decorate the gym for the kids Tropical beach Party after the ceremony. Lots of planning and work by lots of parents went into making it special for the kids. I remember when I graduated from 8th grade, it was just the last day of school and the next day was the first day of summer vacation. We had no ceremony or party after!

To raise money for the grad party they raffled off baskets and I made up a Card Crafting basket to donate. I added stamps, inks, a couple of card magazines, card blanks and colored pencils. I also went thru all my stash and cut up cardstock and pattern papers in card front size. I added some ribbons and embellishments. It was a success!

Since the kids wanted a tropical themed party we decorated the gym with bamboo and plants. I made this banner from my Life's a Beach cartridge. Sharks are the schools mascot, so I cut this cute guy and added him to the banner.
  
I took two of our patio umbrellas and tables and plastic outdoor chairs to keep with the outdoor theme. With all the plants, including two lighted palm trees, it really looked great.
A reminder to all, don't offer your plastic chairs if you have not seen them lately! 3+ hours in the evening the night before are not fun hours when you have to power wash the chairs in the cold! But they are already clean now for family reunion in 3 weeks :)

But after making the banner and putting together the basket my scrap table ended it looking like a hurricane blew through it. I needed to clean it up, but I decided to make a few cards from the scraps.

The card basket papers left me lots of 1" paper strips in a rainbow of colors. I ddin't want to just throw them away so I made a couple of rainbowed hued cards.
Both blues and reds.

To add to the mess I made this card for a friends daughter who graduated from high school on Friday.
Now it is Sunday and hopefully I can find some time to find the top of my desk!

6 comments:

  1. The banner turned out so cute Berta! And the tropical decorations for the grad party, you parents did a wonderful job. I be the kids had a blast. And love the card you made for Dayna. Funny, I am doing a post later this week on the card I made for her. And you should have seen the mess that was my desk just from making one card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berta your talents are endless! I love the tropical banner!
    Dayna loves the card you made and has it proudly displayed in her shabby chic bedroom. The glittery roses are beautiful on the card.
    Your rainbow strip cards are so simple and darling, what a great way to use up the scraps.
    I look forward to the post about her card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banner turned out great! Looks like a great party, nice decorations. I am trying to re-arrange my craft room - now THAT is a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such and awesome display for the tropical party, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your site through someone who pinned one of your cards. Love the rainbow hues. What a great way to use up scraps. I'd love for you to come and visit me on joyfullyhandcrafted.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Berta, Joy said exatly what I was going to say! I too just stumbled across your blog via a re-pinned card that caught my eye - you've inspired me to use my scraps more effectively - I LOVE your rainbow hued cards too! Have a great day, Vicky at vickypedlowdesigns.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!